Mapasane Lephoto - Librarian - National University of Lesotho
• Indexing: A process or technique for retrieving relevant
information contained in documents stored in the library
• A process of analysing the contents of a document (book,
pamphlet, audio-visual, item etc) and translating the result
of the analysis into terms for use in an index. The grouping
of such terms allows location and retrieval of information
• indexing language - any vocabulary, controlled or
uncontrolled, used for indexing along with the rules of
• indexing system – a set of prescribed procedures (manual
or machine-operated) intended for organizing the contents
of a document or knowledge records for purposes of
retrieval and dissemination.
• keyword - raw word coming from the documents that are
regarded as indexable term.